Aetna Establishes a Beachhead at Costco
Costco has made previous forays into health insurance sales. Conlon says several years ago the company recognized the potential of the individual market and signed with what was then PacifiCare to sell individual health insurance policies in California. Costco enjoyed some success in the market and began looking for a single partner to develop a national product. Aetna had been though a similar experience with AARP, where it offered a custom program. "We saw a lot of similarities and a good fit,"DeMaio says.
The two companies have been rolling out their health insurance program for two years. Conlon admits that expansion is slow as Costco waits for approval to act as an insurer in various states. The company collects commissions on the health insurance policy sales.
Costco is interested in continuing to expand its competitive position in the insurance and healthcare business. It has a laundry list of possibilities, including the potential to develop a private health insurance exchange.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission
- Nurse Ethics Comes to a Head at Guantanamo Bay
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe