5 Big Ideas from WellPoint's PCMH Pilot
There is a time lag on some claims data, but Hummel says, "this is an example of when we can't let great get in the way of good. Even with the lag our information is better than what the physician has now."
WellPoint's pharmacy claims data is refreshed each night. Physician data is available within about two weeks. Hospital billing cycles contribute to a 30 to 60 day lag in making that information available to physicians.
4. Physician practices need help
Even with the money, coordination, and information, physicians practices need additional help making the shift to the new delivery model.
Transformation to the coordinated care model requires physicians to redesign how they deliver care in their offices. WellPoint is hiring patient-centered care consultants to help physicians learn the basic elements of patient centered care. "They need to understand how to interpret data, how to develop care plans, and how to develop strategies for frequent ER fliers," explains Hummel.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told