CMS Names Medicare Advantage Plan Stars
Overall, 119 of the plan contracts that received star rating last year and this year improved their star ratings for 2012, according to an analysis from Avalere Health.
Dean Health Plan, a gold-standard Medicare Cost plan, is similar to a Medicare HMO but offers its enrollees the option of receiving out-of-network coverage.
The plan was also recognized last year. The key to maintaining its status from year-to-year is a culture of customer service and a system wide focus on wellness and prevention, explains Pete Thompson, Dean's strategic marketing manager. Its 5-star plan, DeanCare Gold, has about 20,000 members in eight Wisconsin counties.
In an e-mail exchange, Thompson stated that everyone is "on the same page" because its physicians, hospitals and health plan are integrated into one system that shares the risks and rewards associated with patient outcomes. "The clinic, hospital, and health plan relationship facilitates a coordinated approach and high quality care at a lower cost."
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- Hospital CEO Turnover Hits Record High
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- Rules to Rein in HIX Narrow Networks Could Drive Away Payers
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- 4 Marketing Tactics for Hospitals on Instagram
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away