Health Plans Share Their Roadmaps to HIX
UHC officials describe its health exchange participation as "modest" with an expectation that it will have a presence in 12 HIX. While describing the opportunities as "huge over the long term," Officials describe HIX participation at this point as more of a learning opportunity.
Joseph Swedish, the WellPoint CEO, has been on the job less than nine months, and is just beginning to make his mark on the company. He has realigned the company organization around two operating divisions—commercial and specialty business, and government business—in an effort to promote efficiency and accountability.
A review of IT expenditures—more than $1 billion annually—is underway. The goal is to free up capital to invest in data analytics and information management to improve market position and performance, especially6 in terms of medical management, customer service, and predictive modeling.
WellPoint is preparing for Medicaid expansion related to healthcare reform. It expects about 50% of its Medicaid states to participate in expansion effective Jan. 1.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- Power of price: In South FL and the nation, healthcare costs often are shrouded in secrecy
- Hospital mergers may lead to higher prices
- House OKs Cassidy's 'keep your plan' bill
- Healthcare data of 1 million NJ patients compromised since 2009