Health Plans Share Their Roadmaps to HIX
UHC officials describe its health exchange participation as "modest" with an expectation that it will have a presence in 12 HIX. While describing the opportunities as "huge over the long term," Officials describe HIX participation at this point as more of a learning opportunity.
Joseph Swedish, the WellPoint CEO, has been on the job less than nine months, and is just beginning to make his mark on the company. He has realigned the company organization around two operating divisions—commercial and specialty business, and government business—in an effort to promote efficiency and accountability.
A review of IT expenditures—more than $1 billion annually—is underway. The goal is to free up capital to invest in data analytics and information management to improve market position and performance, especially6 in terms of medical management, customer service, and predictive modeling.
WellPoint is preparing for Medicaid expansion related to healthcare reform. It expects about 50% of its Medicaid states to participate in expansion effective Jan. 1.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers