How to Hire Hospital Staff in Volume and Maintain Quality
HLM: If a human resources executive doesn't have a close relationship with the C-suite, what are strategies for working around that?
Margetts: When you can bring value to the organization, that's when you get the attention and the invitation to be a part of that leadership. So you have to look for ways that you can bring that value and find how you can help further the organization's goals.
Whether that's spearheading projects that are important to the organization that match your skillset and expertise, or to partner with the CEO on talent development and succession planning, you have to find those key projects.
I also think analytics are really important. Most business people respond to that and for HR nowadays, you have to provide the data to bring your perspective on the business to light.... I'm an industrial engineer by training, so I have a bit of a unique background in human resources too.
I'm much more slanted towards using data and implementing process efficiencies. I do think that's very important today in the business and knowing how HR can transcend that.
HLM: Is the size of your HR staff growing as your organization expands?
Margetts: I wouldn't say that our HR department is growing, but we're transforming... So we're looking at opportunities to deliver our services differently. Just like anyone in healthcare right now, we're all needing to transform our services to do things a little differently because of healthcare reform.
Everybody needs to look at how they're delivering services and ask is the way we've always done things going to work for us in the future, because it's probably not.
Chelsea Rice is an associate editor for HealthLeaders Media.
- $6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
- How Chargemaster Data May Affect Hospital Revenue
- House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
- Fortunately, Angelina Jolie Isn't On Medicare
- Don't Let Nurses Sink Your Bottom Line
- Insurer's App Aims to Lower Healthcare Costs, Securely
- ED Physicians Key to Half of Hospital Admissions
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- Uncompensated Care Faces a Double Hit in Some States
- Hospital Pricing Transparency a Marketing Game Changer