4 ICD-10 Staffing Strategies
Because the ICD-10 skill set hasn't quite met a demand in the market, at Mannon says Inova hasn't lost a single coder to another organization. But the provider is conducting weekly salary benchmarking reports, so it can keep pace and stay competitive.
4.Control resistance from older workers
Another cause for employers' concern: coders near the end of their careers may be intimidated by learning an entirely new system.
Mannon says a large part of retaining retirement-age workers is managing that fear. One of the key implementations was computer-assisted editing software, which suggests answers for coding and takes away a fear of inaccuracy.
"It's really computer literacy more than it's an age issue. The delay of ICD-10 put fear in the coders that didn't need to be there. Anecdotally, I would hear that they thought because of the delay that the coding was more difficult than it is. I think you view things like that from the seat you sit in. People are thinking this is more complicated than it is, when ICD-9 and ICD-10 really aren't that different."
"There is never a good time to introduce change. And it's always costly to deal with it. We've been given a year and we're trying to communicate to our members to make sure they are on schedule with where they need to be. It's tough to maneuver through those various activities and make the transition successfully," says Argus. "There will be some pain as a result of the transition, but we want to minimize that."
Chelsea Rice is an associate editor for HealthLeaders Media.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System