To Do No Harm: Safety as a Professional Obligation
Clearly, we need somebody on the care team, a primary care doctor would be the ideal candidate, to take charge of this pharmaceutical alphabet soup and carefully direct a patient’s exposure to drugs -- seeking to maximize the benefit while minimizing the harm.
The loss of life and damage to health is too great for us to wait. Now is the time to act and make safety the cornerstone of 21 century medical practice.
Allan Korn, M.D., is Chief Medical Officer and Senior Vice President for Clinical Affairs for the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), a national federation of 39 independent, community-based and locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- Hospitals Seeking to Understand PPACA Impact Turn to Data
- Telemedicine Providers Welcome AMA Guidelines
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition