To Do No Harm: Safety as a Professional Obligation
Clearly, we need somebody on the care team, a primary care doctor would be the ideal candidate, to take charge of this pharmaceutical alphabet soup and carefully direct a patient’s exposure to drugs -- seeking to maximize the benefit while minimizing the harm.
The loss of life and damage to health is too great for us to wait. Now is the time to act and make safety the cornerstone of 21 century medical practice.
Allan Korn, M.D., is Chief Medical Officer and Senior Vice President for Clinical Affairs for the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), a national federation of 39 independent, community-based and locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic