To Do No Harm: Safety as a Professional Obligation
Clearly, we need somebody on the care team, a primary care doctor would be the ideal candidate, to take charge of this pharmaceutical alphabet soup and carefully direct a patient’s exposure to drugs -- seeking to maximize the benefit while minimizing the harm.
The loss of life and damage to health is too great for us to wait. Now is the time to act and make safety the cornerstone of 21 century medical practice.
Allan Korn, M.D., is Chief Medical Officer and Senior Vice President for Clinical Affairs for the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), a national federation of 39 independent, community-based and locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers
- Programs focus on high-risk patients to reduce spending