First PCORI Report Short on Specifics
2. Improving Healthcare Systems
This area is designed to focus more on how care is delivered rather than what care is delivered. For example, the agency wants to study such delivery modalities as disease management, telemonitoring, telemedicine, integrative health practices, care coordination, performance measurement and incentives, protocols. This is said to include alternative system approaches, such as methods of communication and documentation in electronic health records.
It also is to examine "new and extended roles for allied health professionals" such as pharmacists, nurses, physician assistants, dentists, patient navigators and volunteers."
3. Communication and Dissemination Research
How should the healthcare system increase clinician and/or patient shared decision making and awareness of options is the focus of this targeted area for research. This area includes research in how the healthcare system can provide information using understandable language in a variety of settings.
4. Addressing Disparities
The institute wants to reduce or eliminate disparities by studying differences in patient preferences or differences in response to therapy across socioeconomic, demographic and other patient characteristics.
5. Accelerating PCOR and Methodological Research
This area is designed to address research on better ways to conduct comparative effectiveness research, such as better ways to engage patients and those at risk, "particularly those who have been historically hard-to-reach," and assure their validity.
The agency asks the public to comment on this draft report until March 15.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- Narrow Networks Enjoying a Resurgence
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Anne Wojcicki—Unlocking Consumer Access to Genetics
- Taming Time and Moving Healthcare Data
- Physicians Trained in High-Cost Regions Spend More
- Christmas Tree Syndrome Season Underway