Parkland Dismissals Linked to Patient Safety, Accountability
To deal with nursing issues, Parkland hired in January a new chief nursing officer, to deal with "consistency and predictability of nursing in a systematic way," Royer says. Mary K. Eagen was formerly a regional chief nurse executive at Christus Health Southeast Texas in Beaumont. Royer says he wants to see more empowerment for nurses and more team building among the nurses, lead physicians, department chairs, and administrators.
Royer has said that hospital officials have been working closely with A&M to focus on an array of improvements. Key changes include the nursing reorganization, the use of a mock survey team to monitor the implementation of all improvement plans, and enhanced leadership oversight to assure sustainability of the plans.
He also instituted a daily huddle of the management team to review events of the past 24 hours to make sure that necessary corrective actions are taken, that the right policies are in place and that the staff is abiding by the policies.
"We are doing an accountability track," Royer says. "I think there have been days, and episodes, where people have been careless or not performing their roles according to their licensure. We have a policy in place and you do what you need to do based on licensing. We are holding people accountable and making sure our disciplinary action is applied uniformly across the system."
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- 'Country Doctor of the Year' Embraces Challenges of Rural Medicine
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Substance Abuse Resurfaces Among Anesthesiologists in Training