Q&A: NJ Health System CEO's Post-Sandy Appraisal
HLM: Was there any damage to your hospital?
Garrett: "Just minor. Here in Hackensack we had a little bit of wind damage. A piece of our cancer center building roof was damaged and a sister hospital at Mountainside got through it well.
There are some branches and down trees but they didn't destroy or damage any hospital assets. It's pretty much the same story up in Pascack Valley; trees and limbs down but not damage to property."
HLM: What areas might be reassessed as you examine HUMC's response to the storm?
Garrett: "The things that can always improve are communications. Not just internally in the medical center, but also the external communications that come to us. That is something I want to review with first responders and the state and federal responders.
There is a lot of information that comes in at the height of a storm and sometimes it is conflicting. Obviously you want to act on good information and that can always be improved."
HLM: Is the full staff back on duty?
Garrett: "We never had an issue with staffing. People stayed if they had to and people came in early to make sure they were here. If they were in doubt, many staff members packed a bag and stayed overnight.
We had cots available for people to sleep in shifts. As a matter of fact, in a couple of areas we had so many volunteers who wanted to stay longer or came in earlier that we had more than enough staff."
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Substance Abuse Resurfaces Among Anesthesiologists in Training
- Safety Net Executives Renew Call to Preserve DSH Payments