HL20: David Green—Disruptive Innovator Touches Millions of Lives
Lately, Green also arranges a fair amount of financing for startups following his startup methodologies, financing such as helping Deutsche Bank create a fund that provides debt financing for eye care programs. "The whole thing about self-financing, if you're generating more money than you're spending with the social twist, that means that you're being very efficient and effective in what you're doing," he says. "You're reaching the market with something that they want. You're creating demand. They're marching to your doorstep because of accessibility and quality, and again, that's what changed the competitive landscape."
Both Sound World Solutions and Brien Holden Vision Diagnostics were capitalized in the $10 million to $12.5 million range. "A lot of the social investing funds out there are risk-averse and only put money into revenue-generating entities," he says. "It was a lot of work to capitalize those companies, and I'd like to see funds that are more into early stage risk capital for pre-revenue for companies that can be transformative in the healthcare space. That's a really big issue."
Meanwhile, Green's innovations have touched the lives of millions of people already. "Aurolab has helped 18 million people see, and that's just with the lenses," he says. "The eye care programs that I helped develop, collectively they do something like 800,000 surgeries a year, and treat 6 million people a year."
But Green hastens to add: "It's not just me, but it's all the different groups that I've helped develop and help direct how they scale, which is really an economic model, rather than a donation model."
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Taming Time and Moving Healthcare Data
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- HL20: Sam Foote, MD—The Courage to Speak Up
- HL20: Derek Angus, MD—An Intense Focus on Care