HL20: David Green—Disruptive Innovator Touches Millions of Lives
Lately, Green also arranges a fair amount of financing for startups following his startup methodologies, financing such as helping Deutsche Bank create a fund that provides debt financing for eye care programs. "The whole thing about self-financing, if you're generating more money than you're spending with the social twist, that means that you're being very efficient and effective in what you're doing," he says. "You're reaching the market with something that they want. You're creating demand. They're marching to your doorstep because of accessibility and quality, and again, that's what changed the competitive landscape."
Both Sound World Solutions and Brien Holden Vision Diagnostics were capitalized in the $10 million to $12.5 million range. "A lot of the social investing funds out there are risk-averse and only put money into revenue-generating entities," he says. "It was a lot of work to capitalize those companies, and I'd like to see funds that are more into early stage risk capital for pre-revenue for companies that can be transformative in the healthcare space. That's a really big issue."
Meanwhile, Green's innovations have touched the lives of millions of people already. "Aurolab has helped 18 million people see, and that's just with the lenses," he says. "The eye care programs that I helped develop, collectively they do something like 800,000 surgeries a year, and treat 6 million people a year."
But Green hastens to add: "It's not just me, but it's all the different groups that I've helped develop and help direct how they scale, which is really an economic model, rather than a donation model."
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers