Your Meetings are Wasting Big Money
5 Ways Tackle Meeting Bloat
He suggests five ideas that are often easy to implement in order to start to get a handle on reducing the waste resulting from meetings.
1.Block Out No-Meeting Periods
One idea for CEOs is to establish no-meeting zones. These consist of blocks of time, one day a week, of two hours, where no meetings can be scheduled throughout the organization.
2. Create Buffer Zones
Another idea is incorporating the notion of a transition time or buffer zone, between meetings. "You can move all one-hour meetings to 50 minutes," he says. "I guarantee there's nothing that can be done in a one hour meeting that can't be done in a 50-minute meeting."
The return on investment for that 10-miute buffer is that it allows people to return phone calls and email to move the organization along, he says. Obviously, the organization is not responding to customers when its workers are involved meetings.
3. Train Meeting Leaders
One that may be a little more difficult to implement is the notion of privileging for meetings. In other words, in order to be empowered to call a meeting, one must have training in running them.
"We allow people to run meetings taking vast amounts of time and resources with absolutely no preparation or training, and no data to know how successfully or unsuccessfully they are doing it," says Shore. "We believe if you're going to use that many resources, you're going to need some training on running meetings."
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Cleveland Clinic Partners with North Shore-LIJ for Heart Care