Sleep Centers Awaken Profit, Competition
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Smaller clinics also tend to offer services before they are accredited, which is permitted, though the reimbursements may not be as great. In most states, sleep centers do not have to be accredited to offer services—both Genesys and Virtua’s Centers are accredited—but an increasing number of third-party payers, as well as Medicare, are requiring sleep laboratories to obtain accreditation as a condition for reimbursement.
Aside from the local competition, healthcare providers considering offering this service line may have one more competitor to watch—their patients. In the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, some insurance carriers are mandating the use of at-home sleep apnea testing devices for patients, which can significantly lower the reimbursement rates to sleep centers.
Reimbursement losses may require sleep centers to evaluate whether to add at-home sleep apnea testing through their labs in order to gain that revenue; it’s something both Genesys and Virtua are keeping an eye on.
“What they have for an at-home study is not what you need to do a full-blown diagnostic sleep study,” explains Brown. “It’s more of a home screening; a doctor would likely order a full sleep study based on those results, however. We aren’t really worried about these at-home tests, but we’re watching these anyway.”
Mazzoni agrees: “In the short run, I’m not sure if it will cannibalize our business or if it will increase our business, but in the long run, it may present another opportunity.”
Karen Minich-Pourshadi is a Senior Editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- 'Early Offer' Malpractice Programs May Spur Reform
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees