Council Connection: The Key Metrics
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Ninnescah Valley Health Systems, Inc.
Obviously we’ll continue to watch volumes and profitability. I’ve been around this business since 1968 and I don’t care how you slice or dice it: It’s always been volume-oriented, and you shuffle that with the fact that you ain’t going to get more stuff from more people for less money. And that means we are going to have to change the way we look at the whole thing.
ACCESS. INSIGHT. ANALYSIS.
Join the HealthLeaders Media Council
Get members-only access to industry-wide intelligence, forecasts, and analysis positions your organization to benchmark against your peers, identify and respond to key trends shaping healthcare, and make sound business decisions.
I’m looking at a lot of conflicting studies that are coming out, and many of them say ACOs don’t save money, or EMRs don’t save money. I don’t think in the long run we are going to save money. We may bend the curve down a little bit on how fast we are spending money. But if you look at all the folks getting older and more beat up, demand for services isn’t going to go away.
We as providers are probably more on track than those who would like to direct traffic for us. I don’t think government is on the right track. They can regulate the whole thing out of existence. They can be really deleterious to our ability to provide care. We aren’t saying we do everything 100% right, but I think we are closer to the issues and the solutions than Washington, DC. That’s why we going to continue to look at the metrics we control.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers