Do-It-Yourself IT Solutions
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
“I’ve always held that it is much easier to train a clinician to understand IT than it is to train an IT person to understand the clinical world,” Wolf says. “We’re also focusing on more super-users, clinicians who don’t become IT staff but who are the on-site expert in the EMR system and can bridge that gap between the two areas of expertise.”
The pressure on healthcare IT will continue for years to come, Wolf says. Meaningful use efforts are just getting into high gear, and even after that, providers will still need an army of IT professionals.
“If meaningful use is a wave on the beach, ICD-10 is a tsunami,” Wolf says. “There is a phenomenal amount of work involved with that switch.”
This article appears in the October 2011 issue of HealthLeaders magazine.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services