Keys to Process Improvement
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Transforming data into information
Virtua Health, based in Marlton, NJ, with four hospitals, various ambulatory sites, and long-term care and home care components, has also wagered its future on performance improvement, although it uses a slightly different variation of Six Sigma and Lean techniques to drive the process. Under the system, every employee has a goal and objective for the year. Performance is measured and employees are held accountable, said Tejas Gandhi, PhD, assistant vice president of management engineering and Lean.
"How to empower them? Data is a key," he said. "Healthcare is data-rich but information-poor. Differentiation will be achieved by healthcare systems that can convert that data in to meaningful, actionable information."
That said, technology was not seen as the solution, but the enabler to a solution, said Lisa Demko, Six Sigma champion at Virtua.
"Technology wasn't the critical thing we needed to solve problems. It's really about processes and how people do the work. We ask ourselves this question often: Is [technology] truly supporting the process and people, or are we implementing technology to avoid dealing with the processes and workflow?"
Demko, Gandhi, and other leaders of process improvement at Virtua created a real-time, core measures quality dashboard to track performance that is available to all members of the team.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'