Addressing the Disrespect Disconnect
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
As nurses become more involved in coordinated care and multidisciplinary approaches, Kadlick says the impact of nurses on quality will be more fully appreciated. "The nurses can do more—add value to the interaction with physicians and for patients' care," Kadlick says.
According to the survey, patient experience and satisfaction is the top priority among nurse leaders; 72% rank it among their top three priorities. Next is clinical quality and safety at 55% and cost reduction and process improvements at 45%.
"I think nurses believe they could have a voice to make things better, although I think it's misleading to think they can fix it," Kadlick says. "The only true way to do that is to get all the shareholders together to put out a model, and everyone has a voice in planning."
With the advent of healthcare reform, it's a chance for the industry to recognize the evolving role of nurses, Kadlick says.
"When I see the patients coming into the acute care setting, and the baby boomer nurses starting to retire, new nurses are being recruited," Kadlick says. "It's time to be more proactive for nurses with patients and providers.
"Nurses as a whole should take responsibility to be more involved in care coordination; it's that opportunity for us today," Kadlick adds.
This article appears in the February 2012 issue of HealthLeaders magazine.
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- 50 Years of Fighting Pressure Ulcers Called Into Question
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty