Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Marquette General Health System
President and CEO
Superior Health Partners
We have to somehow let the patient be the only thing we are thinking of during the day. This is perfect for us because we are looking at the value equation being quality and service over lower costs so the service part is just as important as anything.
There are many components. It's not just how to take care of the patients. It's about hiring the right people. It's retaining the right people. It's supporting the team. It's looking at the patients' needs first. It's coming into your job, whatever it is, and thinking my job is taking care of people. Some people do that naturally. Others just need to have that reinforced all the time, and that is where leadership comes in.
The expectations and accountabilities will be rolled into their job evaluations, rewards, and incentives. We are taking the carrot approach and putting a lot of emphasis on the patient satisfaction scores.
A big part of our culture and at any hospital starts with the physicians. We are putting a lot of emphasis on physician training and using them as part of the culture of change. That is a little more difficult. We employ about half of our physicians. We can influence them a little bit more than the private docs. A big part of it is getting them into the loop for training.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Chronic Disease Care Costs Get Bipartisan Attention
- CareFirst Announces PCMH Program Results
- Mayo Tops U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- Hospitals Seeking to Understand PPACA Impact Turn to Data
- Telemedicine Providers Welcome AMA Guidelines
- The case for concierge medicine