M&A Roundup: KentuckyOne Health forms $1.4B JOA
Piedmont, WellStar form Georgia Health Collaborative
Metro Atlanta's Piedmont Healthcare and WellStar Health System have formed the Georgia Health Collaborative.
The collaborative intends to develop innovative healthcare delivery models, economically aligned physician relationships, and service line cost savings.Under the deal, the two not-for-profit health systems will remain independent but will use the collaborative to serve a primary service area population of more than three million people across north Georgia. With a combined 2,393 hospital beds, 10 hospitals, seven urgent care centers, and more than 700 physicians in the Piedmont Physicians Group, Piedmont Heart Institute, and the WellStar Medical Group, the Collaborative will redefine the delivery of healthcare services in metro Atlanta, the two companies announced jointly.
"Even the strongest health systems recognize that creating a sustainable healthcare industry is going to require significant change," Piedmont President and Interim COO Gregory A. Hurst said in prepared remarks. "A collaborative allows us to create both scale and efficiency without the same debt and integration challenges that come with expansion or acquisition. Our systems seem perfect for this type of partnership."
ID hospitals seek injunction against medical group acquisition
Boise, ID–based Saint Alphonsus Medical Center–Nampa and Treasure Valley Hospital announced last week that they had filed a petition for an injunction asking a federal court to delay the acquisition of Nampa's Saltzer Medical Group by St. Luke's Health System.
The filing alleges that the planned acquisition of Saltzer Medical Group by St. Luke's will create a monopoly of primary care physicians in Nampa who regularly see commercially insured patients and will have a long-term detrimental impact on the Nampa community, its citizens, and the hospital that has served the community for more than 100 years, Saint Alphonsus and Treasure Valley said in a joint statement.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending