6 Ways YouTube Connects With Patients
4. Sharing Patient Stories
MD Anderson Cancer Center, which has more than 2,000 subscribers and 2.5 million views, reaches online users by sharing patient stories and case studies. It has 11 videos on its "Patient Stories" playlist that follow families and patients through their care journey.
The stories are told entirely by the patients and their family members, each singing the organization's praises for their quality of care and patient experience. One story, titled "The upsides of having cancer" features a young woman who had ovarian cancer who describes her positive experience at MD Anderson and explains that, had she not had cancer she wouldn't have discovered her love of blogging and would not have adopted her daughter.
YouTube gives providers the chance to share stories like this without paying for a costly TV spot. Though MD Anderson's YouTube account has its stats disabled, "The upsides of having cancer" video has received 2,235 likes, and likely many more views.
5. Hosting TV Ads
The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) joined YouTube in 2007 and has 774 subscribers and more than 937,000 views.
The organization uses its YouTube channel to host its TV spots which feature its cardiovascular service line, patient portal, cancer center, cerebrovascular and stroke care, and more. It may seem like a no-brainer to feature this content on YouTube, but you wouldn't believe how many hospitals I've come across that have YouTube accounts with no ads posted.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition