Telemedicine is Retail Health Clinics' Newest Tool
"We are innovating leading-edge mobile applications and telemedicine capabilities," said MCH senior vice president and chief information officer Edward Martinez in a statement. "In cooperation with HealthSpot, we will champion telehealth services as a long-term solution for transforming the future of primary and specialty pediatric medicine."
MCH plans to set up HealthSpot Stations at 10 locations in Florida and the Caribbean in 2013 to broaden its telemedicine services.
Grocery stores next destination
While HealthSpot has partnered primarily with healthcare providers in the early phase of its rollout, Maughan said the long-term plan is to deploy the kiosks in a variety of settings.
"We're talking to retailers right now to set up kiosks in grocery stores and other locations such as business parks," she said.
Unlike The Cleveland Clinic—which tailored the kiosks to fit its specific needs—the kiosks for nonmedical settings will have a standard consultation fee and a set of conditions that physicians will diagnose and treat. Maughan said having a standard business model will allow the company to expand more rapidly.
"We envision using a Redbox business model to expand into retail locations," she said, referring to the DVD rental kiosks located outside retail video stores in the United States. "With retailers, we're probably looking at a situation where we'll lease space in a store and share a percentage of the profits with them."
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- 50 Years of Fighting Pressure Ulcers Called Into Question
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots