$6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
"We haven't seen the first quarter numbers yet, but for the end of the year the Beaumont finances improved significantly so there wasn't the same kind of financial pressure on them as there was when they first started the discussions I am not sure their path is going to be toward a merger," Udow-Phillips says.
"Henry Ford has already in their history done some mergers with other organizations. I am not sure which ones now they would approach. Henry Ford because their patient base is much more heavily based with public programs, they would benefit financially by finding a partner that would balance that out a little bit but I don't know how realistic that is going to be at this stage."
Baumgarten says Beaumont has already rejected advances from Vanguard "and I don't think that is likely to change."
"There are other possibilities," he says. "The University of Michigan Health System at Ann Arbor is about 50 miles from Beaumont and that is a very prestigious academic medical center which has been trying to extend its reach into different parts of the state through some acquisitions but mostly through different kinds of partnerships."
Baumgarten says some sort of alliance between Beaumont and Oakwood Healthcare System might also garner consideration. "Oakwood serves the west side of the Metro area where Beaumont is on the northeast side. There are geographically compatible," he said.
"Or maybe we'll see a partner relationship where Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic is sharing certain lines of expertise of medical management or other administrative expertise with if not Beaumont than one of the other systems in the area."
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US