Online Tool Takes the 'Wait' Out of Waiting Rooms
Medical specialties serving tech-savvy patients
Some hospitals are implementing the service by department, whereas others are implementing it throughout the facility in order to provide patients with several options for care. For example, someone with an ankle injury can go online and view wait times at a health center's emergency room, urgent care center, and specialist offices.
"Hospital systems like it because they can display all their options and patients can determine which choice fits best given their schedule," Mehta says.
According to Mehta, the tool would work well in any medical specialty where there's a chance of significant delays. For example, it is popular with many high-traffic specialties, especially those that have unpredictable schedule and volume changes, such as OB/GYN offices and walk-in mammography centers like The Rose Breast Center.
Rose Medical Center plans to roll out the service for exams performed at another outpatient facility and the main hospital. "It definitely fits into the outpatient arena—cardiac tests, pulmonary tests, physical therapy," says Liggett. "The physicians are very excited about it. A lot of them are interested in getting it for their offices."
Mehta believes the tool also has the potential to control the spread of viruses, such as the flu. For example, even though a pediatric office may have a well child area and a sick child area, diseases can still spread during the time a child is waiting to be seen.
"The less time you spend in the waiting room is better for everybody," he says.
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Taming Time and Moving Healthcare Data
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- HL20: Sam Foote, MD—The Courage to Speak Up
- HL20: Derek Angus, MD—An Intense Focus on Care