6 Target Markets for Accountable Care Partnerships
One of the most significant lessons learned from our assessments is to think broadly. Many people have compared ACOs to unicorns, a creature that has magical powers but one that no one has ever seen. Across the country, health systems, insurers and governments are putting new systems in place that are beginning to show us what accountable care might look like. Applying accountable care principles beyond the Medicare market is essential if this country is going to reverse the out-of-control healthcare costs that threaten our fiscal health. The momentum is building across both the private and government sectors—even before Medicare ACOs become a reality.
Joseph F. Damore, FACHE, is vice president, Premier Consulting Solutions, in Washington, DC. Barbara Gray is vice president, Premier healthcare alliance's Partnership for Accelerated Care Transformation, in Charlotte, NC.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- 50 Years of Fighting Pressure Ulcers Called Into Question
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Small Doesn't Mean Doomed
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots