Videos as Instruments of Physician Engagement
Part of the reason physician videos are so successful is they help patients feel more comfortable. For example, patients can look on the website and listen to a specialist at Tufts whom they have been referred to so when they meet this person they are already a bit more at ease, explains Hynes.
As one physician explained, the first patient encounter is like an interview, Cotrupi says—the goal is for the family to feel confident that the physician can take care of him or her.
"We saw the videos as a way to meet the physician and get their first consult," he says. "Our suggestion was that we don't want the physician to sell the hospital, but we want the physician to imagine that he or she is across the table from someone needing brain surgery." So what would that first conversation be like with a family member, and what questions should they ask?
Tufts recognized the potential of using such high-quality videos in other contexts, so it has looked for ways to incorporate that content into other marketing programs.
When you build a destination, one of the challenges is keeping the content fresh, says Cotrupi. "That is why we expanded it beyond the videos to medical myths and healthcasts. We are also creating content on the site that has promotional value." For instance, the hospital can use this content for the website and in print, radio, and TV advertising.
It is important that people visit the site, but it also essential to find creative and innovative ways to promote the valuable content on the site, Cotrupi says.
Carrie Vaughan is a senior editor with HealthLeaders magazine. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big