M&A Roundup: In MI, a $6.4B Merger
"This is a monumental day in the history of healthcare in Hopkins County and the surrounding communities," E. Berton Whitaker, president/CEO of Baptist Health Madisonville, said in a media release. "By joining the Baptist Health family, we are positioning our health system to address the ever-changing needs of providing healthcare in the years to come."
Baptist Health shortened its name from Baptist Healthcare System on Sept. 5.
CHI, Saint Clare's Health End Acquisition Talks with Ascension
Catholic Health Initiatives, Denville, NJ-based Saint Clare's Health System, and Ascension Health Care Network announced on Thursday that they have ended negotiations for the transfer of ownership of Saint Clare's.
In March CHI and SCHS announced they were in exclusive negotiations with Ascension for the transfer of ownership of SCHS to best meet the needs of the communities SCHS serves. CHI said last week it remains committed to Saint Clare's until new ownership is secured.
CHI said that the decision to sell the hospital "was based on the need to better meet the demands and requirements of the communities served by Saint Clare's and the recognition that, as health care reform rapidly evolves, it is critical for health care providers to be part of regional networks of coordinated health care delivery organizations including physicians, health facilities, payers and other related health care entities."
No explanation was given for why the talks broke off.
CHI and SCHS said they will continue to explore opportunities for regionally clinically integrated networks of providers and payers in New Jersey.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- When a hospital closes
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Administration: 7.3M now enrolled in Obamacare
- US health system among least efficient before Obamacare