Is Concierge Medicine Finally Ready for Takeoff?
Blue says the time is right because of a convergence of supply and demand factors.
"On the physicians' side, you've got a growing realization among primary care doctors that the business model of the independent or small practice is likely not sustainable and they just having a harder time keep the lights on," he says.
"They are working faster and faster and it is not satisfying and potentially not viable. It's likely we will see the extinction of the small independent practice in the traditional sense. You have that forcing doctors to explore alternative business models."
Blue says private practice also allows physicians to better serve a smaller number of patients.
"Private medicine in the early days used to represent a moral dilemma around displacing a large number of patients to attend to the needs of a smaller number," he says. "Today that moral dilemma is largely offset by the dilemma of ‘is it right to deliver care that is not the best I can do thousands of people or do I deliver really good care to smaller numbers?' More physicians are able to reconcile the decision with their own personal principles and that is driving more doctors into private medicine."
The anticipated surge of about 32 million new insured patients under the PPACA in 2014 is expected to exacerbate the physician shortage, and the increasing cost of health insurance coverage, with its higher premiums, co-pays and deductibles, also makes direct pay practice more appealing to a growing number of consumers, Blue says.
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'
- TJC Warns Hospitals of Deadly Medical Tubing Mistakes
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- The secret committee behind our soaring healthcare costs