Physicians, Chiropractors Still Out of Alignment
Indeed, the AMA House of Delegates at its meeting last year reaffirmed its opposition to the non-discrimination clause, or Section 2706 of the PPACA. The House of Delegates meeting minutes showed that the AMA intended to work to repeal Section 2706, "as enacted in the PPACA through active direct and grassroots lobbying."
AMA officials declined to comment when contacted this week, but its website notes that "non-physician healthcare providers should only provide patient care in accordance with their education and in accordance with applicable state laws."
'Drugs and shots and surgery' have not worked
Generally, chiropractors are maligned, Smith says. As far as he is concerned, the AMA isn't the only problem; it's the general coverage of chiropractors by the news media. "Chiropractors remain a mystery science profession in the media," Smith says.
Still, he insists that chiropractors are making headway in healthcare, not least by the mere fact that people are recognizing the outrageous costs involved, specifically over failed back surgeries. "After a century assailing chiropractors as practicing quackery, the table has finally turned with the medical profession on the defensive," Smith insists, referring especially to changes afoot in the Affordable Care Act.
"The paradigm of drugs and shots and surgery hasn't worked," he says.
He isn't confident, however, that physicians will embrace the chiropractic profession anytime soon. "Nobody seems to be listening," he says.
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- PCI: Concerns Mount About Appropriateness
- Transforming Cancer Care
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions