Bridging the Clinical, Academic Gap Won't Be Easy
Organizations that may be involved could include the Institute for Patients and Family Centered Care, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute, along with local and national healthcare systems. Others could be the National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
The foundation notes, of course, that healthcare scholarship and teamwork should include other fields, such as business. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the National Institutes of Health and other organizations "should all share an interest in supporting this work in partnership with private foundations," the Macy Foundation states.
As it outlined the communication problems of academics and clinicians, the Macy Foundation acknowledged that a bridge to solutions would not be built overnight. "We do not underestimate the magnitude of the change in culture that will be required to accomplish all of these recommendations," the report concedes.
Still, there's no time like now to begin the process, says Thibault.
"I think we've got a moment in time in which change is around us. Almost no one can defend the status quo," he says. "Change is inevitable and we better figure out how to do it. If we miss this opportunity, some things may be imposed on us by the government and that won't be as good as what we do ourselves."
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition