MGMA-ACMPE Seeks Delay for Stage 2 MU Penalties
Last week, the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society called for launching Stage 2 on schedule, but extending Year 1 of the Meaningful Use Stage 2 attestation through mid-2015 for hospitals and physicians. The society said the additional 18 months "encourages continued progress while simultaneously acknowledging short-term obstacles."
"Perfect Storm" of Regulatory Compliance Issues
On Aug. 7 the American Academy of Family Physicians asked Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Administrator Marilyn Tavenner "not to delay the implementation of MU stage two, but to extend the timeframe for compliance with MU stage two requirements by 12 months."
AAFP Board Chair Glen Stream, MD, told Tavenner that "2014 brings a perfect storm of regulatory compliance issues for family physicians that, we fear, may derail health information technology adoption and substantially interfere with our shared progress toward achieving better care for patients, better health for communities and lower costs through improvements to the healthcare system."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers