Add 'Healthcare Innovation Center' to Buzzwords List
Wood said he and others from the Mayo Clinic will be there too.
"Perhaps the meeting coming up next month will actually move CMMI along, and make it truly innovative," he says.
There's certainly no lack of ideas and projects, Martin says.
There's a need to design seamless transition strategies that accomplish the triple aim: better health, better healthcare while reducing costs. For example, when patients in disease management programs transition to palliative or hospice care, "everything has to be undone and redone – the bed, oxygen and so forth come out, only to be brought in by a different payer," she says. That interrupts care and costs more than it needs to.
Webcast: Alternative ACO Strategies: June 7, 2011, 1:00–2:30 pm (ET) Register today.
There's innovation needed in preventing falls, improving patient satisfaction, discharge planning and in addressing the needs of patients with dementia. "A lot of organizations are starting to address these," she says.
Some will find their own niche, whether it's designing bundled payment collaborations, community health programs to keeping people out of the hospital, medical devices or electronic, wireless remote delivery systems, she says. "We'll start to see organizations differentiating how they are different, for example, focusing on a specific population," while others will focus on technological ways of delivery.
Here are a few examples of recently announced innovation centers:
- The Center for Technology and Innovation in Pediatrics at Children's Hospital Los Angeles and the University of Southern California.
- The Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation at the University of Michigan.
- The Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality and Johns Hopkins Health System.
- The Henry Ford Innovation Institute at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit..
- The Center for Effectiveness and Safety Research at Kaiser Permanente, which also has the five-year-old Sidney R. Garfield Health Care Innovation Center.
- The Institute for Population Health Improvement at the University of California at Davis, which also has its Center for Health and Technology Innovation. The list doesn't stop there.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Ascension, Carondelet to Partner with Tenet, Dignity Health