Fisher: Readmission Problem Needs a Teaching Hospital Solution
What patients want is that their care is coordinated. So if there needs to be information provided, you give it back to the other hospital and providers to help keep that patient out of the hospital."
Conroy says that the AAMC has gone so far as to purchase a large dataset from Medicare to see in detail which hospitals are readmitting patients discharged from academic medical centers, readmissions that raise the teaching hospital's readmission rate, not the readmitting hospital's.
"We are taking this very seriously," she says. "But first we are getting the data."
It's true that prior to 2009, academic hospitals were expanding or grappling with the cost cutting necessitated by the economy. "But in 2009, we started saying, this is an issue we have to address."
ACCESS. INSIGHT. ANALYSIS.
Join the HealthLeaders Media Council
Get members-only access to industry-wide intelligence, forecasts, and analysis positions your organization to benchmark against your peers, identify and respond to key trends shaping healthcare, and make sound business decisions.
"Best Practices for Better Care," is an example of one campaign that focuses on three initiatives: surgical checklists, central line infections, and readmissions, she says. Creative patient management after discharge is starting to emerge.
For example, in Georgia, congestive heart failure patients waiting for heart transplants were found not have air conditioners, which could exacerbate their co-morbidities. So now they receive $200 window units while they wait for a match.
In other parts of the country, to improve communication between community practitioners and patients who have no land lines, university hospitals are purchasing cell phones.
"These are things that a university center and an endowment have funds for," she says.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- Small Doesn't Mean Doomed
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs