'Hospital of the Future's' Top 20 Features
Infection zappers, wireless vital sign monitoring
10. All wiring and piping runs through an "interstitial space" between floors so that if anything goes wrong, repairs can be done without breaking a sterile field or opening walls. "Nobody else has that that I know of today," Covert says.
11. Palomar has designed a special suite for future robotic surgery in such a way that the only living thing inside it is the patient. "Everything else in it is a robot, the nurse, circulating nurse and the robotic arms and devices used by physicians in the next room, or a mile away."
12. Palomar is leasing four Xenex PX-UV machines that move into rooms in between patients. Within six minutes, certain bacterial microorganisms are destroyed.
13. Sotera Wireless VISI's vital sign monitoring system just cleared U.S. Food and Drug Administration's 510(k) process, and Palomar is the first hospital to use it for ambulatory patients. Covert describes it as "equivalent to putting on EKG leads that are tied to a smartphone-like device," which can be read on an iPad. Now patients can move or be moved wherever they need to be without losing monitored vital sign connectivity.
14. Gone are physicians and nurses lounges. Instead, each floor has a multipurpose room that "actually forces our doctors and nurses to come together to talk with each other about their patients and complete their work together."
15. Adjacent to each bed is a line of handrails to give patients support if they try to move to the toilet or shower, eliminating an expensive risk for falls.
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- States Without Medicaid Expansion Search for Alternatives