Final MU Stage 2 Rules Released
Margaret Dick Tocknell and Scott Mace, August 24, 2012
Modifications to Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
- Expands the definition of what constitutes a Medicaid patient encounter to include individuals enrolled in a Medicaid program, including Title XXI-funded Medicaid expansion encounters (but not separate Children's Health Insurance Programs encounters).
- Specifies the look back period for patient volume to be the 12 months preceding attestation and not the previous calendar year.
- Revises the definition of a children's hospital to include any separately certified hospital (freestanding or hospital within a hospital) that predominately treats individuals under age 21 that has been provided an alternative Medicare number in order to enroll in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
Online Information Access & Reminders
- Allows eligible hospitals and CAHs to withhold or remove information from online access if they believe substantial harm may arise from its disclosure online.
- Lowers from 40 percent to 10 percent the percentage of images ordered by providers' inpatient or emergency departments which must be accessible through a certified EHR.
- Requires providers to send patients reminders for preventive or follow-up care.
Striving for Meaningful Use Stage 2
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Roundtable: To Arrest HAIs, Culture Trumps Campaigns
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- 3 Insider Tips on Cutting Costs without Strangling Growth
- A Fresh Look at End-of-Life Care
- Heart Attack Patient Costs Skyrocket Beyond 30 Days
- 3 in 4 Patients Want E-mail Consultations
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations