Final MU Stage 2 Rules Released
Margaret Dick Tocknell and Scott Mace, August 24, 2012
Modifications to Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
- Expands the definition of what constitutes a Medicaid patient encounter to include individuals enrolled in a Medicaid program, including Title XXI-funded Medicaid expansion encounters (but not separate Children's Health Insurance Programs encounters).
- Specifies the look back period for patient volume to be the 12 months preceding attestation and not the previous calendar year.
- Revises the definition of a children's hospital to include any separately certified hospital (freestanding or hospital within a hospital) that predominately treats individuals under age 21 that has been provided an alternative Medicare number in order to enroll in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
Online Information Access & Reminders
- Allows eligible hospitals and CAHs to withhold or remove information from online access if they believe substantial harm may arise from its disclosure online.
- Lowers from 40 percent to 10 percent the percentage of images ordered by providers' inpatient or emergency departments which must be accessible through a certified EHR.
- Requires providers to send patients reminders for preventive or follow-up care.
Striving for Meaningful Use Stage 2
- Ebola: Health Officials Try to Quell Front Line Fears
- Reducing Readmissions Starts with Better Collaboration
- Ebola: A New Normal in Dallas
- Partners HealthCare M&A Deal Under Scrutiny
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- Health Literacy Month Gets a Boost from Payers
- Debate Over Consolidation's Effect On Cost Rages On
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars