Final MU Stage 2 Rules Released
Margaret Dick Tocknell and Scott Mace, August 24, 2012
Modifications to Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
- Expands the definition of what constitutes a Medicaid patient encounter to include individuals enrolled in a Medicaid program, including Title XXI-funded Medicaid expansion encounters (but not separate Children's Health Insurance Programs encounters).
- Specifies the look back period for patient volume to be the 12 months preceding attestation and not the previous calendar year.
- Revises the definition of a children's hospital to include any separately certified hospital (freestanding or hospital within a hospital) that predominately treats individuals under age 21 that has been provided an alternative Medicare number in order to enroll in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
Online Information Access & Reminders
- Allows eligible hospitals and CAHs to withhold or remove information from online access if they believe substantial harm may arise from its disclosure online.
- Lowers from 40 percent to 10 percent the percentage of images ordered by providers' inpatient or emergency departments which must be accessible through a certified EHR.
- Requires providers to send patients reminders for preventive or follow-up care.
Striving for Meaningful Use Stage 2
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion