Final MU Stage 2 Rules Released
Margaret Dick Tocknell and Scott Mace, August 24, 2012
Modifications to Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
- Expands the definition of what constitutes a Medicaid patient encounter to include individuals enrolled in a Medicaid program, including Title XXI-funded Medicaid expansion encounters (but not separate Children's Health Insurance Programs encounters).
- Specifies the look back period for patient volume to be the 12 months preceding attestation and not the previous calendar year.
- Revises the definition of a children's hospital to include any separately certified hospital (freestanding or hospital within a hospital) that predominately treats individuals under age 21 that has been provided an alternative Medicare number in order to enroll in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
Online Information Access & Reminders
- Allows eligible hospitals and CAHs to withhold or remove information from online access if they believe substantial harm may arise from its disclosure online.
- Lowers from 40 percent to 10 percent the percentage of images ordered by providers' inpatient or emergency departments which must be accessible through a certified EHR.
- Requires providers to send patients reminders for preventive or follow-up care.
Striving for Meaningful Use Stage 2
- Federal Appeals Court Mulls Observation Status
- How the Military's EHR Reboot Will Impact Interoperability
- How One Health System Saved $3.5M in Benefits Costs
- HCA to Acquire CareNow Urgent Care Centers
- BCBS Tries New Drug Contracting Model
- 'Leadership Gap' Threatens MU Momentum, Says AMA
- Abington Health, Jefferson Health Plan '100% Equal' Merger
- Dental Board Case Before SCOTUS Has Far-Reaching Implications
- Ballot Initiative Pits Providers Against Payers in SD
- The Case for Recycling Surgical Supplies