It's Judgment Day for Hospital Websites
This year, URAC and The Leapfrog Group are revamping their criteria. Instead of requiring thresholds, they will evaluate based on the applications they receive, and disclose their methodology. A panel of judges who also serve as advisers for those groups will review the submittals and validate claims.
Hospitals may apply for the award if they have a "consumer-facing website," have completed the free and voluntary 2013 Leapfrog Hospital Survey, (about 1,300 hospitals do so) and publically report quality data from their Joint Commission accreditation survey, Medicare's Hospital Compare ratings, their own state's reporting results, or the Leapfrog survey data.
There is no charge to apply or to post an award, if a hospital's website is a winner.
The award criteria factors nearly 50 measures in five categories:
- Does the website display the most recent safety and quality data, and give the dates of performance?
- Can visitors compare your hospital's data with other hospitals in the state or nation?
- Are there definitions or links to explain the information that's displayed?
- Does the data shown have links to the source?
- Does the site have easily navigated layout with working and recognizable links?
- Is the website available in several languages?
- Can the font size be adjusted and can the content be printed?
- Is advertisement labeled, to distinguish it from other content?
- When data tables are displayed, are row and column headers identified?
- Is there an explicit "About Us" or "History" section containing information about the facility, the staff and services?
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- HL20: George Halvorson—Expectations for Success
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services