NQF Distances Itself From Safe Practices Co-Chair
According to an NQF statement released late Wednesday, the NQF not only severed its relationship with Denham in March of 2010, but it declined further financial support from Denham's foundation, the non-profit Texas Medical Institute of Technology, which had given the NQF $725,000 between 2006 and 2010 for special projects. In addition, the NQF
- Now refuses to enter grant agreements where a funder is on an endorsement committee, even as a non-voting member
- Has reviewed other committee reports that Denham was involved in to be certain that he did not influence their outcomes, and
- Has updated its conflict of interest policy
Denham: Reports Are 'Blatantly False'
I tried to reach Denham directly to hear his side of the story, but instead received an e-mailed statement from his spokesman. It says allegations that CareFusion paid $11.6 million in improper kickbacks to Denham while he was NQF Safe Practices Committee co-chair "are blatantly false reports."
"The qui tam complaint involved in the settlement between the government and CareFusion makes absolutely no mention of Dr. Denham, and does not involve him or any of his companies in any way. The (whistleblower) action revolved around CareFusion's alleged off-label promotion of one of its products."
Rather, it is the executed settlement agreement, which HealthLeaders Media obtained Wednesday from the Department of Justice, that details the accusations against Denham.
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- 3 Insider Tips on Cutting Costs without Strangling Growth
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- A Fresh Look at End-of-Life Care
- Heart Attack Patient Costs Skyrocket Beyond 30 Days
- 3 in 4 Patients Want E-mail Consultations
- Roundtable: To Arrest HAIs, Culture Trumps Campaigns
- ACGME Chief Sees 'Huge' Risk of Error in Proposed Assistant Physician Licensure