ONC Takes on Patient Engagement in HIT
In addition, too many organizations are still using paper-based consent forms. And even those organizations cited as being ahead of the e-consent curve aren't doing enough, ONC says.
"The efforts by the VA to adopt an electronic consent system are frequently cited, and evaluation to date indicates the value of developing such a system. However, the VA’s system and many other systems in use today are primarily being applied with respect to consent for health procedures or treatment and not for electronic health information exchange. It will be important to address the unique challenges of collecting and tracking patient choice regarding sharing their health information in an electronic environment, where information exchanged between health care providers must indicate a patient’s meaningful, informed choice and enable the patient choice to be honored."
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Esther Dyson's Population Health Dream