Custom Content Augments Technology's Value
Customizing Content for LT Care and Billing
The selection and details of a move into long-term post-acute care are also being targeted to benefit from this technology. "You might have a case manager that goes into the patient's room on Monday, and they talk with the family to ask them which nursing home they would like their father to go to, they choose their nursing home, then the case manager will record that conversation on everything that they need to do," Bailey says.
Last week, Cullman even began using this technology to record conversations with patients about their billing and payment options and make them similarly available after discharge.
And nursing homes are also excited about being able to access these discharge instructions, and will be providing their own content to be customized and packages as part of the post-discharge information available to patients and family.
When you think about it, much of this innovation is about providing ever-more customized content to patients. To me, that's the true power of patient engagement at work. Cullman may be the vanguard of a huge positive development in healthcare IT, one that goes far beyond many of the basic innovations that an electronic health record represents.
And eventually, the EHR will benefit as well. Bailey says the basic technology will be integrated into EHRs so that this custom content becomes part of the medical record. When that happens, watch for a healthcare IT system to be much more than the sum of its parts today.
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians