CMS Resets ICD-10 Start Date
"They've been a little scared from what they are hearing, so we are going to be putting out 'mythbusters' literature telling them 'this is what you are hearing, but here are the facts.' It is a change. They are asked to do more documentation but they need to do that whether we go to ICD-10 or something else like value-based purchasing."
Otherwise, Gordon Thomas says providers should use the additional 12-months to provide.
"We want people to take advantage of this extra time," she says. "They need to continue to work on their clinical documentation improvement programs. The need to train their staff and stakeholders, whoever that may be, and at the appropriate level of training depending upon what they need. They should continue working with dual coding, and they should work with their vendors to make sure that they are ready, ready, ready."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers