Behind BSCA's 2% Solution
Jones is behind AB-52, which is winding its way through the California legislation. The bill will give extend the DOI's authority concerning insurance rates from just reviewing to approving or denying.
Blue Shield and a host of other health insurers in the state oppose that move. Some see the 2% announcement as an effort to convince lawmakers that the industry can self-regulate.
So if this is just for PR purposes, Reinhardt concedes it's a good gimmick and suggests that other health plans take the same step. "If they are smart, they will. It's a good PR gimmick, certainly for the non-profits."
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Esther Dyson's Population Health Dream