Behind BSCA's 2% Solution
Jones is behind AB-52, which is winding its way through the California legislation. The bill will give extend the DOI's authority concerning insurance rates from just reviewing to approving or denying.
Blue Shield and a host of other health insurers in the state oppose that move. Some see the 2% announcement as an effort to convince lawmakers that the industry can self-regulate.
So if this is just for PR purposes, Reinhardt concedes it's a good gimmick and suggests that other health plans take the same step. "If they are smart, they will. It's a good PR gimmick, certainly for the non-profits."
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- Taming Time and Moving Healthcare Data
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Anne Wojcicki—Unlocking Consumer Access to Genetics
- Narrow Networks Enjoying a Resurgence
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare