SOTU Light on Healthcare, Industry Reacts
Mark Parkinson, president and CEO of the American Health Care Association and the National Center for Assisted Living
"Our profession has made great strides, yet we are struggling to meet growing demand in the light of diminishing federal and state funding. We have improved in quality. Many of our facilities are hiring doctors and reducing hospital readmissions. We have improved in delivering a variety of health care options for seniors. That significant progress could all be put at risk if policymakers continue to avoid serious discussions centering on how we are reimbursed."
Curtis Rooney, president of the Healthcare Supply Chain Association (HSCA).
"HSCA and the group purchasing industry applaud Pres. Obama for his commitment to preserving the Medicare and Medicaid programs while also reducing costs across the healthcare system…Hospitals face mounting financial pressures, and continued implementation of federal healthcare reform will likely increase the strain."
Cyndy Nayer, President/CEO Center for Health Value Innovation
"Mr. Obama's references to health care were spot on for his agenda. He said he was not going back, and, in many ways, the country cannot go back: health information technologies are being rapidly deployed, 26 states have exchanges in process, and the system has ingested the rules for improved prevention and wellness strategies."
"Can the Congress, or the Courts, pull back the individual mandate? Of course, but that will not change the focus on wellness and prevention including the better management of chronic care. The bigger point may be the incredible focus he made on job creation and keeping private insurance in the 'game.' The big message of building a healthier, prosperous U.S. cannot be missed: health and business improvement are intrinsically tied, as we know."
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- 3 NC Health Systems Form Shared Services Organization
- Hospital Pharmacies Prep for Drug Takebacks
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- Administration: 7.3M now enrolled in Obamacare