Greater Claims Data Scrutiny Could Save Hospitals $800M
Among Mission's cost savers: It reduced its cycle time for claims by 70% by clarifying documentation requirements and shifting from paper claims to electronic submissions.
For its part, Blue Shield and has just announced a collaboration with the Hospital Council of Northern and Central California, which will add about 160 hospitals to the POET system. Blue Shield is also piloting the process with 30 physician groups.
The process is part of an effort to "break down silos," explains Martinez. "A lot of claims problems are because hospitals and payers "just speak different languages."
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Healthcare Leaders Seek Strategic Sweet Spot
- 3 Reasons Wellness Programs Fail
- CMS Issues Health Insurance Exchange Proposed Rules
- Patients Shoulder Nearly 25% of Medical Bills
- ACOs Widespread, Yet Challenged
- MGMA: Physician Compensation Increasingly Based on Quality Measures
- 6 CNO-to-CEO Strategies
- HFMA: Patient Financial Interaction Guidelines Sharpened
- PwC: Pace of Rising Medical Costs Slowing
- HFMA: Revenue Cycle, Reimbursements Share the Spotlight