Medical Home's Payoff Comes From Effort and Technology
A key way forward is to customize the technology to meet the needs of managing populations. For example, JHCP has created and is refining preventative care templates for its electronic medical records system. "It forces providers and ancillary staff to ask certain questions and document certain things, so we identify if a patient hasn't had certain types of care or is falling below the standard. All that takes time to develop," Kravet says.
During my recent HealthLeaders webcast on the patient-centered medical home, Kravet revealed a few other tech-related secrets of Hopkins' success. "We used a tool called Conversation Maps that we actually learned from Merck," Kravet says.
A better patient experience
"So one of the key principles of the medical home is changing the approach to care, which is historically very transactional," he says. "In the old model, which is really the current model, people come to see the doctor. They have stuff done to them. Maybe some medications are changed, then they're sent away and they come back in 3 or 4 months or 6 months and they get readjusted.
"But there's a lot of white space between the visits, and that becomes very important in the patient-centered medical home. We began to focus on this big white space, which is really a golden opportunity. We employed care coordination processes, including this perihospital consultation and communication."
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised