Doc of the Year: Award Comes with Responsibility
"Yes, I understand all that but I went into medicine to help people and that is all I can tell you. So, I feel like each of us in our own way do what we can to help the community. That is the basis of everything I do in medicine," he says.
"My whole family has been involved at various times helping with the clinic. They come as they are able to. That is what happens with other physicians. Those who are interested, we rotate them through so they are not there all the time. I am there each week but most people come periodically and that seems to work so that they are not overwhelmed. So it is very doable."
Responsibility goes with the award
While he was first "very uncomfortable" about earning the Family Physician of the Year Award, Albani says the award has practical purposes.
"You don't go into medicine looking for accolades. I'm not out there for awards. There is nothing special about me. I am just a doctor trying to do what I know how to do," he says.
"But as a little time has gone by I've come to realize that there is a responsibility and an obligation that goes with the award. The award was given because they feel I represent what we as family physicians do. That is important at a time when you have the government and insurance companies telling us what doctors are all about. It sets a spark. It's a great example."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Substance Abuse Resurfaces Among Anesthesiologists in Training
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- Safety Net Executives Renew Call to Preserve DSH Payments
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT