Kaiser Permanente Helps Supermarket Bloom in Food Desert
"It requires partnership. Nobody can do it alone. But every single hospital is an anchor institution in their community," he says. "Every single hospital is a major employer in their community. Every single hospital has important relationships with the business community. Every single hospital CEO is a civic leader. It's not about the dollars. It's really about your civic leadership and understanding the nature of the problems we confront and be willing to roll up your sleeves and be willing to address the complexity and the bigger solutions we need to bring to bear."
Maybe your community hospital can't land a 40,000-square-foot supermarket for the people you serve. But you could probably find a way to get a weekly farmers' market trucked into your food desert.
"That is the real opportunity for every single healthcare leader and every single hospital executive," Solomon says, "to think about what is really driving health and illness and work with others to find solutions."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians