Hospital Mergers and Acquisitions Declined in 2013
The new 140-bed hospital will operate as a part of the Sierra Providence Health Network, Tenet's system of hospitals and outpatient centers in El Paso. It will be a teaching hospital for medical students, nursing students, resident physicians and faculty from TTUHSC's Paul L. Foster School of Medicine, eventually offering training for approximately 75 medical residents across a multi-year program.
Construction is scheduled to begin in 2014 and be completed in the fall of 2016.
"With today's announcement, Tenet's recently completed and planned investments in the community will exceed $550 million over a 10 year period, and we are pleased to continue our commitment to the health and wellbeing of this important region," Tenet President/CEO Trevor Fetter said in prepared remarks.
Last year, Sierra Medical Center and Providence Memorial Hospital announced a $120 million investment in upgraded technology, expanded service lines and aesthetic remodeling, in addition to a $67 million expansion at Sierra Providence East Medical Center that was announced in 2012.
Port Huron (MI) Hospital joins McLaren Health Care
Port Huron Hospital has finalized a deal that makes it the twelfth hospital in Michigan's McLaren Health Care system.
Under the agreement, the 186-bed Port Huron Hospital will be renamed McLaren Port Huron. The hospital will retain its local board of trustees and leadership, and will remain locally governed.
The agreement also provides capital funding for the construction of a new cancer center and a new inpatient tower. The hospital expects to break ground for the cancer center early in 2015 with construction of the inpatient tower beginning later in 2015. Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'
- TJC Warns Hospitals of Deadly Medical Tubing Mistakes
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts