How Optimizing Nurses' Roles Leads to Better Patient-Centered Care
Dr. Ali's model of care is a good example of how using nurses to their fullest potential offers the opportunity to provide better patient-centered care. It also offers two other financial benefits:
- It frees up the physician's time to see more patients, which in the current fee-for-service reimbursement structure allows for more billable charges.
- It prepares organizations for the future reimbursement structure of pay for performance based on outcomes.
If you haven't started the transition away from a fee-for-service model of care, Fauquier Hospital and Dr. Ali may offer a good option. Applying this outreach approach with some of your smaller service lines may be a healthy first step.
Karen Minich-Pourshadi is a Senior Editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Hospitals Likely to Outsource ICD-10 at Launch
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts