How Optimizing Nurses' Roles Leads to Better Patient-Centered Care
Dr. Ali's model of care is a good example of how using nurses to their fullest potential offers the opportunity to provide better patient-centered care. It also offers two other financial benefits:
- It frees up the physician's time to see more patients, which in the current fee-for-service reimbursement structure allows for more billable charges.
- It prepares organizations for the future reimbursement structure of pay for performance based on outcomes.
If you haven't started the transition away from a fee-for-service model of care, Fauquier Hospital and Dr. Ali may offer a good option. Applying this outreach approach with some of your smaller service lines may be a healthy first step.
Karen Minich-Pourshadi is a Senior Editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- $6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
- How Chargemaster Data May Affect Hospital Revenue
- House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
- Fortunately, Angelina Jolie Isn't On Medicare
- ED Physicians Key to Half of Hospital Admissions
- Don't Let Nurses Sink Your Bottom Line
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- Insurer's App Aims to Lower Healthcare Costs, Securely
- Uncompensated Care Faces a Double Hit in Some States
- 69% of Employers Plan to Offer Healthcare Coverage After 2014