How Optimizing Nurses' Roles Leads to Better Patient-Centered Care
Dr. Ali's model of care is a good example of how using nurses to their fullest potential offers the opportunity to provide better patient-centered care. It also offers two other financial benefits:
- It frees up the physician's time to see more patients, which in the current fee-for-service reimbursement structure allows for more billable charges.
- It prepares organizations for the future reimbursement structure of pay for performance based on outcomes.
If you haven't started the transition away from a fee-for-service model of care, Fauquier Hospital and Dr. Ali may offer a good option. Applying this outreach approach with some of your smaller service lines may be a healthy first step.
Karen Minich-Pourshadi is a Senior Editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic