How Optimizing Nurses' Roles Leads to Better Patient-Centered Care
Dr. Ali's model of care is a good example of how using nurses to their fullest potential offers the opportunity to provide better patient-centered care. It also offers two other financial benefits:
- It frees up the physician's time to see more patients, which in the current fee-for-service reimbursement structure allows for more billable charges.
- It prepares organizations for the future reimbursement structure of pay for performance based on outcomes.
If you haven't started the transition away from a fee-for-service model of care, Fauquier Hospital and Dr. Ali may offer a good option. Applying this outreach approach with some of your smaller service lines may be a healthy first step.
Karen Minich-Pourshadi is a Senior Editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Behind the CVS Health Rebranding Strategy
- How MA plans to re-enroll 450,000 residents in health insurance
- House OKs Cassidy's 'keep your plan' bill
- Medicare is pricier in unhealthy states, study says
- Mobile Health Screenings Come Under Scrutiny
- CMS Pitches Medicare Appeals Deal to Hospitals
- Strategically, Physicians Make Room for RNs