How Optimizing Nurses' Roles Leads to Better Patient-Centered Care
Dr. Ali's model of care is a good example of how using nurses to their fullest potential offers the opportunity to provide better patient-centered care. It also offers two other financial benefits:
- It frees up the physician's time to see more patients, which in the current fee-for-service reimbursement structure allows for more billable charges.
- It prepares organizations for the future reimbursement structure of pay for performance based on outcomes.
If you haven't started the transition away from a fee-for-service model of care, Fauquier Hospital and Dr. Ali may offer a good option. Applying this outreach approach with some of your smaller service lines may be a healthy first step.
Karen Minich-Pourshadi is a Senior Editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer