Physician Pay Wars' Winners and Losers
However, he says that although many family doctors will see pay increases as a result of this CMS rule, he doesn't think they'll rush to make changes in hiring in their practices at least for another couple of months, until they see how the policy impacts their offices.
Other physician specialty groups likely to see pay increases, are:
- Allergy/immunologists, 3%
- Anesthesiologists, 1%
- Colon and rectal surgeons, 2%
- Critical care specialists, 1%
- Endocrinologists, 1%
- General practice doctors, 1%
- Hand surgeons, 1%
- Hematology/oncologists, 2%
- Infectious disease specialists, 1%
- Interventional pain management specialists, 1%
- Otolaryngologists, 2%
- Psychiatrists, 2%
- Pulmonary disease specialists, 1%
Among those specialists likely to receive pay cuts are
- cardiac surgeons, -1%;
- cardiologists, -2%
- nuclear medicine specialists, -3%
- ophthalmologists, -3%
- pathologists, -6%
- physical medicine specialists, -4%
- thoracic surgeons, -1%
- urologists, -1%
- vascular surgeons, -2%
The final rule includes additional important provisions that tie physician reimbursement with quality performance measures, and some new information on quality reporting for doctors to be posted on Medicare's Physician Compare site starting Jan. 1.
The rule was issued with a comment period that extends until Dec. 31, 2012.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal