Business Roundup: Independent Hospitals Disappearing in OH
Illinois' Edward Hospital and Elmhurst Memorial Finalize Merger
Naperville, IL-based Edward Hospital & Health Services and Elmhurst (IL) Memorial Healthcare announced that they have finalized their merger and made new leadership appointments.
The merger creates one of the larger integrated health systems in the state comprised of three hospitals: Edward, Elmhurst Memorial and Linden Oaks at Edward, with revenues of about $1 billion and more than 50 outpatient locations across a service area of 1.7 million residents. The system employs nearly 7,700 and has more than 1,680 physicians on staff. System naming/branding will be determined and communicated in the coming months, the new system said in a media release.
"This is an historic day for residents of our communities because it brings together and strengthens important community-focused institutions with long histories of serving the western and southwestern suburbs," Pam Davis, CEO of the new system, said in prepared remarks.
"While Elmhurst Memorial and Edward are already nationally recognized for quality and patient satisfaction, our collaboration will lead to even higher quality, and improved services and efficiencies for our patients as we meet the challenges of healthcare reform."
The new system will work with Illinois Health Partners, which includes DuPage Medical Group and its more than 400 physicians and many independent physicians, to jointly manage the care of more than 100,000 HMO patients in the region.
In May, Mary Lou Mastro was named president/CEO of Elmhurst Memorial Healthcare effective July 1. Gina Sharp was promoted to president of Linden Oaks at Edward, replacing Mastro. Also, Chris Mollet was named system executive vice president/general counsel, and Vince Pryor, was named system executive vice president/CFO.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services