Top 12 Uncertainties Hovering Over Healthcare
The legislation defined such transfers of value as stocks and stock options, ownership interest, dividends, profits, consulting fees, honoraria, gifts, entertainment, food, travel, education, research, charitable contributions or royalties.
The data collected is to be publicly viewable, according to the ACA by Sept. 30, 2013.
12. Value Based Purchasing Incentive Payments
Although the formula for rolling out incentive payments for hospital quality has been set through 2014, hospital providers are nervous about what CMS will add to the mix for 2015, allowing them to earn back a portion or all of the 1% that all will receive in cuts to fund the program.
"We'll be seeing the results in October," Bankowitz said.
It dropped some eight hospital acquired conditions such as falls and pressure ulcers and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality composite measures for 2014. But those and several other measures are expected to creep back in or be added anew, such as all-cause readmission rates and the number of patients infected with hospital-acquired Clostridium difficile.
Another important decision coming from CMS anticipated in the coming year is how incentive payments will be allocated and to whom. Under the Affordable Care Act, any hospital that received CMS immediate jeopardy citation would be precluded from earning back any of the 1% of payments that are cut to hospitals across the board.
That's 12, and that's enough for 2012. However, this is not a complete list. There are at least eight other influential rules and policies anticipated in 2012. Stay tuned.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- 3 More Pioneer ACOs Say They Will Quit
- Telemetry Overuse Cost Health System $4.8 Million in One Year
- Governors Push to Expand Role of PAs, Telemedicine
- IV Fluids Shortage Continues
- Ebola in the U.S.: Reason to Fear, to Hope, to Prepare
- Why Open Payments Irks Physicians
- Difficult Patients: It's Not Them, It's You, Doctor
- Proton Beam Therapy Center Closure Illuminates Costs
- How the slowdown in Medicare spending is affecting hospitals
- More New Orleans-area doctors indicted by feds in $50 million Medicare fraud case